Sorry, it has taken me a couple of weeks to post this but it’s been a very busy month. I have enjoyed doing little mini-challenges vs a big full-year project. Here is what I’m working on this month:
1. Workout Schedule: Find a fitness routine that works for my lifestyle which can be tricky. I don’t have a typical routine from week to week as far as my schedule goals so finding the right plan for me can be a challenge.
2. Update Wardrobe: I need new clothes that I feel good in and that reflects my personality and lifestyle.
3. Read 4 Books by Black Authors: Since it is Black History Month I wanted to work on my reading challenge for the year by focusing on books by Black writers.
4. Create a Budget for the Year: I wanted to create a budget and savings goals for this year.
5. Self Care Routine: I wanted to find a way to give myself a little more love and care and make that part of each week.
I’ll be sharing more specifics on these goals in future posts.
Yesterday I kicked off this kindness series and wanted to start off with a small act of self-love. Self-care and attention seem to be the last thing that many of us focus on when it should really be the first. When we so ourselves a little kindness and compassion it opens us up to giving that to others too.
One little thing I’ve been doing for myself lately is a nightly ritual of taking a bath and doing a little restorative yoga before bed. I spend less than thirty minutes on this little act but it winds down my day and quiets my hyperactive mind so I can sleep better. This little act feels luxurious because I use bath salts with different fragrances. Epson and mineral salts are great for soothing the body. Here are a few of my favorites depending on my mood.
Balancing Soak by Soothing Touch: This blend of oils is great for clarity and mental focus. I like using this the night before a big meeting. It’s probably just a placebo effect, but it makes me feel good so who cares.
Eucalyptus by Aura Cacia Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is refreshing and soothing. It’s a great oil to use for hand and foot massages too.
Namaste by Botania: This blend is spicy and citrusy. I discovered this company on a trip to the farmers market in Montreal. Their website is opening an online store in the near future so hopefully, I’ll be able to stock up before my next trip to Canada.
Nighty Night by EO: Nothing gets you ready for bed like chamomile and lavender. This is perfect after a particularly stressful day. If bathing salts aren’t your thing they also have the same fragrance in bubble bath form.
Sweet Honey Almond Froth Bomb by Pacha Soap Company: This is pure lux and my skin feels so silky smooth after a bath. I don’t get this often because it’s a little pricey, but when I feel like treating myself it’s a great reward.
Do you have a self-care ritual you love?
Last week was hard for a lot of people. When the term self-care gets thrown around I feel we automatically assume that means taking it easy and not over doing it. That can be part of it for some, but I think self-care is an individual thing. You need to do whatever suits your needs and recharges your batteries.
Here are a few things I did this past week as my needs and mood varied:
Went to a candlelight yoga class
Joined a book club
Binge watched a BBC miniseries
Went to an art gallery
Unplugged from Facebook
Called a friend
Worked on some craft projects
Went for a walk
Made a nice meal
What do you do when you need a little self-care?